I wonder when it will happen – When will God’s people grow up?
When will we LOVE?
When will we stay CALM?
When will we MIND OUR OWN BUSINESS AND DO OUR JOB?
With everything going on in our world I have formed many opinions. Many opinions I would love to share, better yet shout from the rooftops. Yet these verses keep ringing in my ears.
The Message captures them beautifully –
1 Thessalonians 4:10-12 The Message (MSG)
9-10 Regarding life together and getting along with each other, you don’t need me to tell you what to do. You’re God-taught in these matters. Just love one another! You’re already good at it; your friends all over the province of Macedonia are the evidence. Keep it up; get better and better at it.
11-12 Stay calm; mind your own business; do your own job. You’ve heard all this from us before, but a reminder never hurts. We want you living in a way that will command the respect of outsiders, not lying around sponging off your friends.
For a moment let’s just think of the thoughts and time wasted in writing those scathing or passive aggressive social media posts.
I have yet to read a social media post that has changed my life. Have you?
Only the living breathing Word of God can accomplish change.
I believe that Paul’s words were reminding this young church in Thessalonica to grow-up.
His words still call out to us today –
- Get along with one another
- Love one another
- You already know this – God has already shown you
- I know you can do it – I have seen you do it before.
- Stay calm – don’t allow yourself to get all worked up
- Mind your own business.
- Minding your own business is easy – when you are hard at work
- A reminder never hurts
- You will have the respect of those who do not believe, by the way you live your life out
- Don’t be lazy and live off of others – get yourself to work, loving and serving
Let these words ring in your ears, as they have in mine, my friends. It’s time to grow-up.
If we can grab a hold of them and live them out, we will see the world around us begin to change.